It was another insightful and value-filled day at the MIDMRKT CIO Forum. IT executives again attended boardroom sessions to learn more from our vetted and trusted solution providers.
The midday keynote featured Justin Fier, Director for Cyber Intelligence and Analysis at Darktrace, and Arthur Braunstein, VP of U.S. Sales at Morphisec, who provided a deep dive into Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Cybersecurity Prevention.
During Justin’s time on stage, he discussed the difference between AI and Machine Learning, dispelling the hype and reviewing the threat landscape. Justin asserted that the ultimate objective is for machines to learn from their environment, so they can protect themselves. He gave the audience questions that they should ask solution providers when they are evaluating Machine Learning technologies. With all of the hype permeating this market, he emphasized the importance of requiring a potential vendor to actually demonstrate their machine learning functions.
Arthur took the stage and presented a discussion on “Prevention as a Strategy”. He challenged NIST’s standard security framework because none of the five main components include prevention. The reactive nature of this widely adopted framework does nothing to stop attacks. In fact, Arthur indicated cybercrime losses equate to nearly $3 trillion. Fixing something once it’s detected is no longer an adequate strategy; you must put preventative technologies and practices in place in order to avoid a loss.
Rounding out the day was the MIDMRKT CIO Forum winners of the 2019 “Vendor Excellence” awards. The awards recognize leading solution providers for their collaboration, strategic influence, and technical innovation across the midmarket.
Executives selected the following winners and finalists:
- Best MIDMRKT Solution, Software: Morphisec Finalists: @RISK Technologies & Mimecast
- Best MIDMRKT Solution, Service: Call One Finalists: ServiceNow & Eclipse
- Best MIDMRKT CIO Forum Newcomer: Arctic Wolf & Symantec Finalists: Autymate
- Best MIDMRKT Strategy, Select Sponsor: Darktrace Finalists: Arctic Wolf, Roots Automation & Silver Peak Systems
- Best MIDMRKT Strategy, Elite Sponsor: @RISK Technologies Finalists: Mimecast & Scale Computing
- Best in Show | CIO Choice: @Risk Technologies Finalists: Scale Computing & Mimecast